Unlike the traditional education system, that is more focussed on what teacher teach rather than what their pupils learn, Outcome-based education (OBE) places the student at the centre of the educational system and focuses on what the student is expected to achieve at the end of their course rather than how they achieved it. Outcome-based education is an educational strategy in which curriculum decisions are centred on the outcomes that students should demonstrate by the conclusion of the course-professional knowledge, skills, abilities, values, and attitudes-rather than the educational process. It emphasises the importance of knowing your eventual destination before embarking on your journey. Tertiary education must equip graduates with both professional knowledge/skills and all-round traits in order for them to meet the diverse but global needs of 21st century society. Today higher education institutes in various countries are emphasising on continuous quality improvement by reforming their curriculum, plan and assess learning outcomes at all levels, collect evidence of learning and analyse outcomes accomplishment using a variety of assessment techniques, to guarantee that the learning outcomes are actually met.
What makes OBE different from Traditional Education System
Change is inevitable in today’s dynamic world, and that also demands from the education system to update and adapt their approaches and parameters in all spheres. OBE is a pedagogical model in which curriculum, pedagogy, and assessment processes are reconstructed to reflect the attainment of high-order learning rather than the accumulation of course credits. Unlike traditional education, which emphasises what is taught, OBE emphasises what is learnt. The latter is a student-centred approach that includes practical learning experiences to enhance the knowledge, abilities, and traits that students get at the end of a programme or course. Traditional education is based on rigid curriculum and standardized practices, in which students gather under one roof at a specific time to be instructed by a teacher. Learners interact with peers or ask faculty members questions once a lecture is over. This suggests that the effectiveness of the educational system is mostly determined by the teacher’s efficacy and classmates’ knowledge base. On the other hand, OBE is a system of education based on specific outcomes. It focuses on the skill sets that students will need when they finish their education. Activities in and out of the classroom are planned to assist students in achieving these goals.
How OBE is a Revolutionary Practice in Indian Higher Education System
OBE has been adopted by the majority of countries around the world. The signatories are obligated to implement the programme outcomes in accordance with the benchmarked outcomes set forth by the Washington Accord (WA) to make the Indian Higher Education system at par with the global standards.
The OBE paradigm is more focused on clear understanding of the ultimate result to achieve for both students and teachers. Students and teachers have a clear understanding of their learning outcomes that allows them to plan and streamline learning activities to actualize the desired outcomes.
OBE is a flexible learning approach where learning becomes skill-based, and teachers are able to create lessons and practises to meet the requirements of their students. Unlike the rigid traditional education system, OBE is mostly student-centered, with teachers serving as guides who promote student involvement at each learning stage. Students self-govern their learning and take greater ownership of their learning activities. The assessment practices in OBE are consistent with stated outcomes and more accurate as it allows students to evaluate each other, self-evaluate, and have employers evaluate their performance.
Outcome-based assessment provides educators with feedback and information on the success of the teaching and learning techniques they use in the classroom. This has a positive and significant impact on the creation of more responsive and adaptable teaching strategies that assist students in achieving their educational goals.
Role of iCloudEMS in technological accomplishment of OBE framework in Higher Education institutes
iCloudEMS has a unified cloud-based platform that assists institutions and teachers in defining outcomes, mapping assessments, implementing course correction methods, and tracking outcome achievement. Today most accreditation and regulatory authorities choose OBE to assess an institution’s quality standard, OBE platforms are in high demand among higher education institutions. We have designed NBA and NAAC-related OBE modules to meet this high demand and streamline difficult procedures.
We provide stepwise digital assistance in defining, mapping, and tracking all the learning outcomes including Program Outcomes (PO), Program Specific Outcomes PSO, Course Outcomes (CO).
You can get the details of these outcomes in our other OBE related blogs
iCloudEMS ensures a paperless approach to encourage the environment sustainability in Higher Education Institutes, moreover we take care of all the assorted needs of stakeholders to obtain and compile the OBE friendly data and reports with a couple of clicks only. Our following revolutionary products and services guarantee the seamless management of all the administrative and no-administrative operations in Higher Education Institutes.
- A cloud-based server that can store a vast amount of data and records for convenient record management, allowing teachers to monitor the progress of their students’ course outcomes.
- Time-saving solutions that automate attendance records, timetable creation, assignment publishing, and results reporting for faculty personnel.
- Digital strategies for course selection and allocation that support the Choice Based Credit System and encourage a flexible and dynamic learning culture.
- OBE-LMS promotes outcomes-oriented learning by offering engaging course content and assignments using a creative result designing and mapping process.
- The implementation of OBE has become critical in lubricating the accreditation wheels in Higher Education Institutes, and our Accreditation Management System automates and aligns the accreditation preparation work under the OBE model.
- Student-lifecycle management system that enables students to access their whole academic experience with only a few clicks, enabling student-centric learning and encouraging the Continuous Quality Improvement ecosystem.
- Online Classes and Examinations system to promote strategic execution of OBE in all pre and post examination activities, ranging from the preparation of question papers to the publication of final results, all of which are concerned with the design and mapping of all components with predetermined outcomes.
- A user-friendly and cost-effective portal with rich reporting capabilities for quick statistical analysis at all levels.
Finally, it can be concluded that, to embrace OBE’s fundamental goals, everything in educational processes and systems should be based on results; outcomes that go beyond academics and reflect real-life characteristics in youth to enter the workforce as professionals. iCloudEMS stimulates the redesigning of various academic elements including outcomes-oriented teaching and learning, as well as assessment tasks, to ensure that students are prepared not just for academic achievement, but also for life success.