How to use the cyberspace effectively for uninterrupted learning and secure examination
“Online learning is rapidly becoming one of the most cost-effective ways to educate the world’s rapidly expanding workforce” Jack Messman
To empower technology dynamism with Digital India and to promote digital learning, our Government has persistently pushing its efforts since 2016 into practice to encourage Online Education System and its Digital India Initiatives in Higher Education System.
On July 4th2018, UGC has taken a remarkable step for the development of Higher Education System and issued regulations regarding Online Courses or Programmes under which Higher Education Institutions are allowed to offer globally recognized online mode of Certificate, Diploma Degree Programmes of those disciplines for which the programmes are existing in offline/classroom mode. There are minimum four quadrants for learning which video lecture, e-content, self-assessment and discussion forum for effective education; and online proctored exams would also be organized.
The effect of advanced technology and innovation has shifted the Educational paradigm in the last couple of years. Now a days, physical classroom learning is not the single way of Education, with the rise of cutting-edge technologies, the access of Quality Education can be done irrespective of time and location; and the benefits of Online Education can be given as:
- Flexibility: Online Education enhances flexibility in teaching-learning practices as both instructors and learners are not required to fix to a specific schedule or miss the deadline, if session cannot be organized. Using comprehensive digital learning tools, the study material can be uploaded and accessed at their own pace and their own space.
- Cost-effective: Education on a digital space has been proved a cost-effective solution due to less expenditure on associated resources, and the valuable assets can be utilized for training and development.
- Extensive learning options: Learning through web space can provide wider range of options regarding courses and learning avenues for both teachers and students where students can be awarded certificate, diploma or degree in line with the program and its duration.
- Self-governance: The teaching-learning without physical boundaries inculcates self-governance in both teachers and students where both are themselves responsible for their milestones and progress. As the instructors expects learner to be independent for basics and use the common time for activity based learning with better time management skills.
- Alliance cultivation: Working together in virtual environment towards the accomplishment of better learning goals, boosts the communication skills and collaboration to discuss ideas, knowledge and activities for more engaging and creative learning.
- Improved tech-skills: Online education requires embracing of latest software and tools for trouble-free and effective learning sessions that make the users tech-savvy and updated.
Similarly, Online Examinations are also getting importance and popularity due to its compatible secure digital features to create, conduct and evaluate examination with the additional benefits of saving paper, time and money. Many Higher Educational Institutes have replaced their traditional examination system with online examination system and incorporated digitization from pre-examination to post-examination activities that also led to a comprehensive, flawless and quick Evaluation as well.
Online Education aspects of New Education Policy 2020
The ‘New Education Policy’ (NEP) 2020’ which is the first education policy of 21st century has brought new opportunities of the blending technology in Education sector. Following are the fundamental initiatives by NEP to foster digital ecosystem in Higher Education Institutes:
- Digital infrastructure:
NEP emphasizes the development of digital infrastructure in HEIs to remove digital divide in the country and facilitate uninterrupted learning regardless of situations.
- New autonomous body:
A new autonomous body—National Educational Technology Forum (NETF) has been planned to established a central body to discuss and strategize the leveraging new technologies such as blockchain, machine learning, artificial learning etc. at all levels to streamline educational management and execution.
- Virtual labs
More Virtual labs will be created to support empirical learning and by introducing hands-on experiments, virtual field visits and projects to enhance the creative learning skills.
- Virtual classrooms
NEP has also aimed to the availability of online learning through virtual classroom and study material to every student in the nation. Online learning is planned to be the alternative mode of learning in the times of crisis.
- Digital literacy
NEP has futuristic view of producing skilled and computer geek youth whose foundation is planned to be laid in the early age by focusing on improving digital literacy and making the coding and computational thinking part of early age learning.
The New Education Policy has paved the way for integration of Edtech and Education sectors to accelerate technology driven educational services with innovative digital products to strengthen online education.
On Aug 10, 2021, a national webinar was organised by Education Ministry and UGC, on the theme of ‘Use of technology in Education’ that focused on the adaption of technology to make the Education available to everyone without physical constraints and smoothening the Education system. iCloudEMS is a market leader that offers cloud based classroom and examination services and empowers Outcome Based Education model in HEIs. The Online classes and examination product of iCloudEMS commits to cater the needs of all stakeholders in simplifying the management of classes and examination by:
- Can use the prime virtual class settings integrated with cloud-based iCloudEMS portal to organize online classes, meetings or group-discussions.
- Can practice the advanced features to use various multimedia formats for making the session more engaging and understandable.
- Can use the innovative Question paper settings mechanism for preparing group wise or difficulty level wise question paper.
- Can consider the extensive Question bank and on portal templates for question papers.
- Can exercise the outcomes designing and mapping approach to construct questions in OBE and Bloom’s taxonomy framework.
- Can use the LIVE proctoring feature for vigilant and transparent examination.
- Can use On-screen evaluation to reduce the turnaround time in evaluation and grading.
- Can deploy the automatic credit counts and storage functionalities to empower flexible academic approach.
- Can use the powerful reporting tools to generate the results and analysis reports.
- Can experience creative Online LIVE classes to accomplish their learning goals.
- Can use the customized learning portal to learn at their own pace.
- Can create interactive and learning LIVE sessions with better peer-peer and teacher-student interaction.
- Can access their records and performance matrix to track their learning curve.
- Can observe their learning outcomes accomplishment levels to govern their holistic development.
- Can add convenience of their own space by appearing in exam through Online Exam management system.
- Can experience the creditable and transparent evaluation system with flawless results.
- Can take well-informed decisions regarding planning and management of available resources to conduct classes and examination.
- Can maintain massive records with quick information retrieval using centralized web-based platform.
- Can leverage digital academic bank to access the students’ credits to award certificate, diploma or degree.
- Can save their valuable time and efforts with digital utilities for seamless workflow management.
- Can get a bird’s eye view to the organization of LIVE classes and Examination.
- Can monitor the virtual examination space for the smooth organization.
- Can take prompt action towards the unethical behavior in classes and examination to maintain integrity of system.
- Can promote continuous quality improvement to raise the academic standards at par with global levels.
The use of technology in Education can never be ignored to enhance our education system. India is the second most popular country in using social media. Thus with such large population, there is immense potential to develop and grow in various horizons including Education, if the right fusion of technology is carried out. Keeping the same in consideration our honourable Prime Minister, has taken groundbreaking Digital India initiative like SWAYAM, e-yantra, Swayam Prabha, National Digital Library to bring digital revolution for high quality and a digital literate Higher Education landscape. iCloudEMS offers comprehensive digital strategies to empower Online Education with our versatile Online Classes and Exam Management System to automate various intricacies of classes and examination activities for a disciplined digital governance working towards the globalization of Digital Education.